Sunday, February 12, 2012

What is the big pod-looking thing hanging off of my iris?

It looks like it grew under one of the flowers as there are dead petals on the top of it.



It's about 3 inches tall by 2 inches wide and looks like it's ready to say "feed me" a la Little Shop of Horrors.

What is the big pod-looking thing hanging off of my iris?
It's the seed pod...when it ripens it will pop open and you'll be able to see the seeds inside. If you don't like it cut off the stem, you'll not harm the plant...I leave mine on though, it does provide a bit of color in the winter...you could try planting them if you're ambitious, but be prepared to wait at least 3-5 years before you see anything; and if your plant is a hybrid, it might not breed true...



Happy planting
Reply:Thanks for choosing my answer...hope you decide to plant the seeds... Report It


No comments:

Post a Comment